Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I am a Woman Living Alone (Babae Akong Namumuhay Nang Mag-isa)

I am a Woman Living Alone
(Babae Akong Namumuhay Nang Mag-isa)
By Joi Barrios
Translated by John Andrew M. del Prado

I am a woman living alone
Separated from my spouse,
Old Maid,
Mistress,
A Whore


My solitude is
Treated as a blemish,
A wound endowed from the past,
A scar to bear for eternity.


There was a trial that I didn’t pass,
There was a scale that measured my insufficiency
There was a scrutiny that assessed
The effigy of my upbringing.


The thing that they cannot see is
That it’s my decision.
The minuscule liberty
Taken by
Confinement and slavery
From my society.


My loneliness is not to forsake
Love, Lust or duty
This is not to recoil
The compliance of my oath
Or the fulfilment of my dreams.
Not to forfeit life that is
Exposed to Hope.


It’s only a desire
That my hands will work for my time,
My heart and my mind made my history,
I, myself, shaped my being.
Let me live in peace,
By not appending on my name
The label of ridicule:
Whore,
Mistress,
Old Maid,
Divorced.
Even though I am a woman Living Alone.

No comments: